Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

the day i was humbled by someone less fortunate than i

So last evening Zack and i were walking out of Hougang Mall when we saw a teenage guy suffering from down syndrome holding a tin asking for money. So we took out our wallets and rummage for some money. I walked up to him and started dropping coins in it. It was quite a handful and after awhile he waved a hand at me to stop me and said, "gao liao, gao liao." (enough, enough - in hokkien) I stared wide-eyed at him and just continued to empty out my coin compartment right down to my $1 coin. Zack and i save all our $1 in a piggy bank so i always keep them aside.

I walked over to Zack with my heart in my throat. Did you hear what he said? He told me it was enough. Oh my gosh... *speechless* I was humbled. Immensely. A boy less fortunate mentally and physically. Someone in deep need. And he declined anything more than what he hoped for. The greed absent in him is so prevalent in people who have so much more. Look at us. People who are blessed, with nice clothes on our back, good jobs, comfortable home.. and we are always asking for more and more. Always wanting more and nothing is enough.


I stand ashamed.
I stand humbled.


*emotional*



*sigh* oh well.....

on a cheery note:
heard some good news from a friend this morning! Congrats!! A joyous occasion :) On the flipside, i worry for another dear friend. Why is it something so joyous can be fraught with worries *sigh* Hope everything will be fine.. *hugs* hang in there dear.. another week to go.


off to Little India!

No comments: